Monday, February 13

Ketchup!

See what I made today?

Ketchup!


It even tastes like ketchup. The jar is a little steamy because it was still warm when I poured it in, and I used aluminum foil with the jar ring because I couldn't find a proper lid, but I don't expect this to hang around very long anyway.

Here's the recipe:

1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth. When mixture boils, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove pan from heat and cover until cool. Chill and store in covered container. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
From Top Secret Recipes

I used honey instead of corn syrup, and omitted the extra sugar. It came out a little on the sweet side. I think I should have reduced the honey to 1/4 a cup and worked up a tablespoon at a time until it tasted right.

I also only had red wine vinegar, but it doesn't seem to have affected the taste too much.

Also, thanks, Mom, for the batteries! :-)

3 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Oh haha I didn't even think about the picture :) It tastes like the real thing? I never could make it taste right, it was good but just not the Heinz taste that you all liked. That is awesome. I don't imagine it will be around that long either.

Meg said...

Yay! I have been waiting for this year's garden to try making some with fresh tomatoes. Your success gives me hope! :)

Jennifer said...

I may have to try that one! I have been in search of a sugar free recipe for ketchup for a year. Every batch I have made has been so nasty, I can't even eat it myself. Do you think I could sub stevia for the syrup and sugar?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails