Monday, June 7

Sunday barbecue

I went outside Sunday afternoon to take out the trash, and discovered a table with a bunch of barbecue fixings laid out. I asked if they were having a party, and discovered that my next-door neighbor was technically giving a party for my across-the-way neighbor's son's graduation, but she was inviting the whole apartment block.

Off the hook for DIN-NAH BABY!

I wanted to contribute, though, so I went in and whipped up an apricot cobbler from a bunch my grandma had given my mom, who gave them to me.


Alex thought the barbecue was awesome.



He badgered me for an hour about "go outside barbecue?" Finally people arrived, so I let him out.

I let Holly out, too, but she wasn't as big on it.



For one thing, it was about 4 PM and it was full sun and very hot.

About fiveish, the Lakers game came on, and the group split to swim and watch the game.

About six, the cable went down. Through the whole block. People were coming out of their apartments and calling, "Hey, is your cable out? Not the power, just the cable!" We lost our cable internet, too. It didn't come on again until after eight. This made for some pretty irritated game-watchers, so they went and turned on their radios.

The folks who had been swimming returned from the pool about 7:30, and with no TV, socializing ensued. It was actually really nice! Hurrah for the cable going out!

I brought the kids in at 8, bathed them, and popped them into bed, where they were out like lights. Talk about a great evening!

Also, The World's Easiest Cobbler recipe:

4 cups chopped fruit (peaches, apricots, berries, anything)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4th cup butter

Preheat over to 375. Butter a 9x9 baking dish and put the chopped fruit in the bottom. In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, and baking powder. Beat egg and mix into dry mixture until crumbly. Scatter over fruit. Melt butter and drizzle over top, coating thoroughly. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

What a nice way to spend Sunday afternoon. Not to mention you had cobbler to share. It sound like you had a good time and I am so thankful for your neighbors.

Wordmom said...

Be grateful that despite the size of your apartment complex you have that "neighborhood feel." In the Bay Area, you can live in an apartment complex for years and no one will speak or make eye contact with the other people who live there. Honest! Praise God for the Bakersfield worldview.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails